Friday, July 28, 2006

DMX @ Dupont Circle South . Friday evening, 28 July

Having just captured pedestrians along Connecticut Avenue in the Farrugut North area in the course of my Friday photo walk I'd head north to Dupont Circle where along the way, just north of O Street, I'd happen upon a Golden Triangle consultant walking south who, aware of my street photography in the area, would alert me that DMX was just a few feet ahead. Thanking him, I'd continue north where moments later I'd observe DMX and his crew in front of the cellular Mobile Store on the east sidewalk of 1350 Connecticut Avenue toying with a remote control helicopter. When I'd position myself to take a few photos one of his crew would say that I could take a few photos but not too many. I'd thank him and hand him my flyer, saying "the photos would be posted later tonight at flickr and my blog".

DMX was scheduled for a 9 PM performance at Love located at 1350 Oakie Street, in NE WDC.

DMX was born Earl Simmons in Baltimore, MD, on December 18, 1970. He moved with part of his family to the New York City suburb of Yonkers while still a young child. A troubled and abusive childhood turned him violent, and he spent a great deal of time living in group homes and surviving on the streets via robbery, which led to several run-ins with the law.

Following the deaths of Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G., DMX took over as the reigning, undisputed king of hardcore rap. He was that rare commodity: a commercial powerhouse with artistic and street credibility to spare. His rapid ascent to stardom was actually almost a decade in the making, which gave him a chance to develop the theatrical image that made him one of rap's most distinctive personalities during his heyday.

Continuing north in the direction of Dupont Circle I'd think myself, 'while DMX is in town, I'd love to get a few shots of him in connection with my ongoing NAKED TRUTH PROJECT.

No comments: