Wednesday, July 26, 2006

DC Bike Courier Association

More so in the past than in recent years, Bike Couriers, have been amongst my many ongoing documentary series. And as a result of my visit to Lauderdale By The Sea last November where bicycles are a important means of transportation I have since begun an ongoing bicyclists series. When on Friday, 21 July 2006 during my ritual Friday photo walk that I'd happen upon and then proceed to photograph a courier in conversation with a skateboarder at Dupont Circle South it was then that I would decide to resume my Bicyclist Courier series.

And as a result, I have since learned of the District of Columbia Bicycle Courier Association, a not-for-profit (501c6) organization dedicated to protecting the rights of bicycle couriers in Washington DC; helping to ensure the future of the bike courier industry by establishing an equitable understanding between couriers, the businesses they serve, and the communities they interact with; and promoting the bicycle as an alternative means of transportation.

One of the reasons that I first began an ongoing documentary series focusing on bike couriers is because bike couriers represent a sense of freedom. The purpose of this blog is to highlight examples of freedom while, in the process, bringing attention to organizations such as the DCBCA.

1 comment:

gwadzilla said...

cool idea

I would be interested to see what you end up with