Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tokunbo of TOAD Entertainment Jamming at Sunday's Malcolm X Park Drum & Dance Circle

Almost as much I once looked forward to Sunday tea dances at the gay bars in the 70's and 80's or the Winter Party Festival Beach Party at South Beach I found myself this past few weeks wishing that the spring weather would return so that I could revisit Malcolm X. Park for its ritual Sunday drum and dance circle.

When I heard last week that the weather for the upcoming weekend would be 'back to spring', since people have acquired a "nasty little habit" of living vicariously through me and will make me their 'weekend project to oversee' I made sure not to give any advance indication of my intention to join in with Sunday's MXDD- MXP-WDC-22April2007.

Though I captured the Malcolm X. Drummers and Dancers at the 2006 Adams Morgan Day Festival my last documentation of the Sunday jam session took place a few weeks before on 20 August.

In what I refer to as movement - choreophotography I document the drum and dance circle at Malcolm X. Park the same way that I captured musical events at the 2007 Smithsonian Folklife Festival or the WP07 - Beach Party - South Beach - 04 March 2007.

In the process of my movement - choreophotography session I ran into Tokunbo Aderdele jamming at Sunday's Malcolm X. Park Drum and Dance Circle.

I met Tokunbo many years ago when he and I, both, worked as caterers with Occasions Caterers. During which time he was a student at Georgetown University and worked part-time in the catering industry.

When I inquired on Sunday if he still catered he said that he did not and that he now owns his own entertainment company.

Established in 2004, Toad Entertainment is a talent and management company and an agency of over 30 professional performing artists and bands.

TOAD ENTERTAINMENT has provided entertainment for events for City of Singer/West Palm Beach in Florida, Women's Museum of Art D.C., Dept of Education, and various venues, restaurants, and clubs around the east coast area including our own metropolitan area here in D.C. among others.

For more information contact Tokunbo at TOAD Entertainment.

Click photo to view Tokunbo Aderele photoset which is part of my Malccolm X. Park Drum & Dance Circle 2007 collection.

I can't wait to take Justin Sailor of the Hometown Invasion Tour to the Malcolm X. Park Drum and Dance Circle when, in July, he tours WDC.

No comments: