It was one year ago today that the official groundbreaking ceremony was held for the construction of the Washington Nationals New Stadium and Ballpark.
Having visited the area since the fall of 1972 when friends and I began frequenting the Pier Nine, when hearing of redevelopment plans of Near Southeast DC, I began my ongoing historiographic project, of the area, in November 2004 at the Arthur Capper Projects.
I returned in January 2005 to south of M Street, at Half & O Street, and since then have accumulated an interesting archive of architectural images that I have curated into several collections. They are:
1. Arthur Capper Projects (Anu Yadav 'Capers') - November 2004
2. Capper / Carrollsburg - One Year Later, November 2005
3. Capper / Carrollsburg - November 2004 - March 2006
2. Capitol Quarter (Capper / Carrollsburg) since March 2006
4. 20 M Street, SE - Since August 2005
5. Industrial Yard - South of M Street - September 2005 - January 2006
6. Washington Nationals Baseball Stadium - Industrial Photography - January 2006 thru May 2006
7. Washington Nationals (New) Baseball Stadium . Groundbreaking . 4 May 2006
8. Washington Nationals Ballpark "Under Construction" since 4 May 2006
Click above photo by Elvert Barnes to view recent never before seen images of the 4 May 2006 groundbreaking ceremony. In my Window With A view 2007 project I recently began photographing the construction of the stadium from my bedroom and patio windows.
Here is an official video of the 4 May 2006 groundbreaking ceremony.