Monday, August 11, 2008

Should the Third Church of Christ Scientist at 16th & I be demolished?

Upon hearing a TV news report last Friday afternoon that in a battle for the church's demolition and to make way for a new structure the congregation of the Third Church of Christ Scientist had filed a lawsuit in federal court on Thursday against the DC Historic Preservation Review Board ... which, designed by architect Arraldo Cossutta of the I. M. Pei firm the DC Historic Review Board had designated as a historic landmark since it falls under the "Modern Brutalist" school ... during my 8 August 2008 Friday Photo / Video Walk ... I made a point to visit the Third Church of Christ Scientist and Christian Science Monitor Building Complex at the corner of 16th and I Streets in NW Washington DC.

Click the above image to view my Third Church Scientist / Christian Science Monitor Building Complex photoset and 16th Street Historic District collection. Here is the video footage compilation from my Friday, 8 August 2008 visit.

The fate of the ... monolithic example of modernist architecture, will now be decided in court.

The architecture of I. M. Pei and Marcel Breuer are also amongst my ongoing themes.

No comments: