Friday, January 18, 2008

I. M. Pei and MoMA Curator Barry Bergdoll Reflect on the Life, Design & Architecture of Marcel Breuer at National Building Museum's Lecture Series

I. M. Pei, Founder of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners and reknown architect of WDC's L'Enfant Plaza Promenade Complex, Waterfront Mall and the National Gallery of Art - East Wing Building joined Museum of Modern Art's Architect & Design curator Barry Bergdoll on stage last night at the National Buiding Museum's lecture and symposium series to discuss and reflect on the life, design and architecture of Marcel Breuer.

One of the most influential architects of the 20th century, the 6:30 until 8 pm lecture was held in conjunction with Marcel Breuer: Design and Architecture Exhibition of the Vitra Design Museum, Germany which opened on 3 November 2007 and will be on display at the National Building Museum until 17 February 2008. Available online, the exhibition catalogue may also be purchased from the National Building Museum's Gift Shop.

Having embarked, in recent months, on an ongoing Southwest Federal Center Project I was delighted to learn that Breuer had been the architect of the HUD Office Building. Other Works of Breuer in WDC included the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial and the Hubert Humphrey (HEW) Building at Independence Avenue at 3rd Street in SW WDC.

Though this was my first, it will not be my last lecture / symposium that I will attend at the National Building Museum.

Click the above photo to view my "Marcel Breuer: Design and Architecture" Lecture - National Building Museum - 17 January 2008 photoset.

Here is my video compilation which represents the first of my ongoing Architecturally Speaking Series.

No comments: