Friday, September 01, 2006

2 Photography Exhibits @ Port City Java - Eastern Market

Speaking of Eastern Market, though I'm not sure how long it has been there it certainly was not across the street from the Eastern Market Complex a few months ago when I'd pass through the area. However, on Sunday, 27 August, when in the beginning stages of my Fall 2006 Eastern Market project that I'd observe a new coffeehouse at the corner of 7th Street and North Carolina Avenue, NE, remembering the old antique shop that had been there for many years which I had sometimes photographed I'd step inside to take note of how the space had been renovated.

One of the most unique coffeehouse that I've come across, in recent months, is the Ebenezers Coffeehouse which, located at the corner 2nd and and F Streets, in NE, is just a block east of Union Station. While its products are not unlike most other coffeehouses what makes Ebenezers unique is an auditorium and lounge area located in its basement and the fact that is has a connection the the National Community Church. While I'm not into the church thing I certainly may would like to photograph bands, musicians and other performers there. And, perhaps, exhibit some of some of my June 1997 and October 1997 Promise Keeeper rallies photographs at Ebenezer. Some which have never before been seen, since the negatives have not yet been processed.

Though I had photographed the construction process of the Ebenezers Coffeehouse since June of last year it has been since my Memorial Day 2006 visit to the Just Shoot Me opening I have compared any and all coffee shops to Ebenezer.

Let me say this, which may shed light on why I was more interested in how the space at 701 North Carolina Avenue had been renovated. Firstly, I have never had nor will I ever have any interest nor taste for coffee. Or Java. Nor expresso or whatever it is that most people find interesting, fasinating or addictive about jamoca. Secondly, and as I have expressed many times before not only do I have more than a passing interest in architecture but also in history and archeology. Which explains why I wanted to see how the old antique shop had been renovated. Such things have always been of interest to me. As such things have been of interest to many of the gay men that I have known and, in many casses, associated with.

Which is why in October 1978 I befriended and formed a relationship with Herb Lehner whom I made mentioned of in my previous posting pertaining to my beginnings on Capitol Hill.

In fact, when I'd post an image to flickr, some months back, of the then closed antique shop, a friend who alternates between living in Rehoboth and Fort Lauderdale would email me saying that one of his dearest friends had owned and operated the shop for years.

The third reason that I stepped inside of Port City Java on Sunday afternoon, 27 August, was to determine the logistics for a possible future photographic exhibition.

Before entering its front entrance situated at the corner of 7th Street and North Carolina Avenue, I'd snap a few photos of customers sitting out front on the spacious patio. Once inside, I'd observe that there were, at least, two distinct photography exhibitions displayed on the walls throughout Port City Java at Eastern Market.

The first that would catch my attention was that of Stephanie Zito entitled Portraits of Darfur. Who, in her statement, says "My hope hope is that the photos will introduce you to some [the] beauty - the colorful women, the playful children, the smiles of its people ..." which is in sharp contrast to the images that, in recent years, have been displayed throughout the world of the people of Darfur. To learn more about Stephanie Zito, the Wanderer, visit her website. Or contact her wanderingzito@yahoo.com.

The second is the work Barbara Johnson whose exhibition features portraits and landscapes of her travels throughout Europe and the SW United States. Her email is at contact@barbarajohnsonphotography.com.

No comments: