Tuesday, May 05, 2009

DC Council votes to recognize same-sex marriages

Click logo to read Washington Blade Breaking News blog posted dated Tuesday, 5 May 2009.

While I am a STRONG SUPPORTER of same-sex marriages and glad to hear that the DC Council passed the measure ... as a 50 something gay black male who, over the years, practiced integration ... I also understand why Marion Barry who has supported gay rights throughout the years ... may disagree.

The disparities that now exist between my white counterpart and I are far more extreme now than they were 30 years ago. And, as a 50-something gay black male, it is now very clear to me that the disparities that now exist between my white counbterpart and I have a direct correlation to the institutionalized racism that I have experienced, over the years.

I support same-sex marriage but, UNDERSTAND why Marion Barry does not.

No comments: