Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Spent Last Weekend With ...


Though I had planned to take a ritual Friday Night /WDC photo /video walk since I wanted to put the final touches on my September 2007 NYC - IN SEARCH OF THE SUN video /dvd projections project which had been in development for a year - I stayed in and THANKS TO JustCircuit.com/Music I spent last weekend with DJ Frank Wild and DJ JST.
In fact, in recent months, it has been over the weekend that I have spent much of time listening to the ever growing list of DJs featured at JustCircuit.com/Music.
It is for this reason and in attempt to bring attention to these and other progressive and cutting edge djs that I launch the new but now ongoing "I Spent Last Night With ..." or "I Spent Last Weekend With ..." series.
Having already listened to the music of many of the DJs listed at JustCircuit.com/Music I searched the list for those that I had not observed or listened to before.
Let me start by saying that I regard DJs as one of the most underrated professions and art forms in the world. And when I listen to a mix by a particular DJ I try to 'step into his / her world' and 'allow them to take me onto a journey' that if you JUST LISTEN that in most cases will shed light on their personal story. Or perspective of the world.
One such DJ that I became acquanited with through JustCircuit.com/Music a couple of weeks, or so, ago and that I wanted to blog about but have not yet done so is DJ Conspiracy. Not only did his compliations throw me up against wall but the artwork that he creates for each mix with track listing deserves much attention, as well.
I always appreciate it when a DJ provides track listing and artwork for his/her compliation. You can tell a lot about a DJ who goes that extra mile. And while I now do not now recall wihch weekend it was that after first listening to the music of DJ Conspiracy and then revisiting the work of DJ Herbie James ... it has been since then that I have contemplated the launching of "I Spent Last Night / Weekend With ...".
And it has been since that weekend that I often revisited the music of DJ Conspiracy and DJ Herbie James. And while DJ Conspiracy's mixes throw up against the wall and have me wanting for more ... a bit older and wiser Herbie James' mixes are nothing short of mind fucks and musical journies!
And while I have not found track listings nor artwork for his music his blog and podsite are of equal historic importance and tells a lot about the man as does the artwork of many of the younger DJs.
So, I'd like to apologize to those JustCircuit.com/Music DJs who in the past month or so that I spent the night or weekend with but have not yet blogged about but, rest asure, when time permits - I will.
After spending late Friday night / early Saturday morning listening to DJ Frank Wild's Makes Me Dance (and sometimes dancing around the apartment) I was so circuited up but with no where to go ... while putting the final touches on my September 2007 NYC project ... I spent the rest of Saturday and much of Sunday listening to six mixes by DJ ST.
After spending last weekend dancing with DJ Frank Wild and being mind-fucked by DJ ST I'll being going back for more.
Thanks to JustCircuit.com/Music I don't even have to leave my front door.

No comments: