Thursday, August 07, 2008

Last Sunday at Malcolm X. Park Drum & Dance Circle

Not having been to the Sunday Drum and Dance Circle at Malcolm X. Park since Sunday, 4 May 2008 I was so looking forward to the occasion.

I started last Sunday with an omelett and spam sandwich that I fixed at the apartment before heading to the Best Buy at the DCUSA Columbia Heights Shopping Mall to purchase a Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner.

On my way there and back I took pictures and shot footage in connection with my WMATA "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" series. Including this clip of 3 guys who I met on the Green Line when I was returning to SW with the Dirt Devil.

After dropping the Dirt Devil at my apartment in SW, I'd quickly head back out to the Waterfront - SEU Station and take the subway to Dupont Circle.

When en route to Malcolm X. Park that I passed through Dupont Circle I inquired of Maestro Darrold Hunt if he cared to accompany me to Malcolm X. Park for the Sunday Drum and Dance Circle. In the midst of rehearsing for an upcoming concert, he declined.

As I walked up Connecticut Avenue to R Street, across R to 18th, up 18th to U, across U to 16th and up 16th Street ... taking pictures along the way ... I was so longing forward to the Drum and Dance Circle at Malcolm X. Park.

As I entered the lower level formal garden from the corner of 16th and W Street I observed a group of Capoeira Angola performers across the garden near the 15th and W Street entrance. In the past I had observed them on the upper level ... just yards from the Drum and Dance Circle which, in the past, had been staged at the level corner of the upper level.

As I ascended the stairway and water fountain cascade to the upper level ... nothing could have prepared me for what I was yet to come.

Not only where two different groups of drummers and dancers at opposite sides of the upper level but, in the field there were slackropers on the left, jump ropers on the right and families of soccer player and frisbee throwers in the center.

I spent the next two or more hours going back and forth, in between and from side to side ... capturing the Sunday 3 August 2008 Drum & Dance Circle in Malcolm X, Park.

When departing shortly after 6:30 pm that I descended down the fountain cascade and stairway to the lower level garden on the 15th Street side, I remembered when arriving at the May 2008 session that I ran into a white lady who was in town from Minnesota and who, apparently, had happened upon the event just by chance.

Having witnessed it for several hours, saying that though she did not want to leave ... the experience was just "so exhausting ... yet exhilirating!"

Which is exactly how I felt after my visit to the Sunday 3 August 2008 Malcolm X. Park Drum & Dance. "Exhilirated but exhausted!"

Here are the 15 video chips that I shot.

While there are several more photos to upload there is the Malcolm X. Park Drum & Dance Circle - Sunday, 3 August 2008 photo album.

Exhausted. But, exhilirated!

No comments: