Friday, July 27, 2007

Sidamo Coffee & Tea on H Street, NE (Atlas District)

To much anticipation, a Sidamo Coffee & Tea opened on H Street in NE Washington DC in January 2007.

Though I am not a coffee drinker, the reviews posted to Yelp give the staff as well as the coffee, tea and pastries high marks.

Ethiopian-born owners Kenfe Bellay and Yalemzwed Desta roast coffee beans in-house, at the H Street, NE, Sidamo Coffee & Tea. And offer more than 20 kinds of teas and keep the kettle on from 7 a.m to 7 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends.

Though not a coffee drinker, I made a point to stop in during my NE Washignton DC Saturday Photo Walk. And can attest to the friendliness of the staff. Though, at first, there seemed to be some hesitation from the young clerk behind the counter which is somthing that I always encounter as a black male once I explained to Mr. Kenfe, the owner, the nature of dcoumentary work he was more than gracious.

And took the time to show me the back patio.

Though I'm not sure how long the exhibition will remain, on display at the H Street, NE, Sidamo Coffee & Tea during my Saturday, 14 July 2007 visit were the works of several Ethiopian artists associated with the Artful Framing & Gallery.

So, while I am not into coffee, I definately will return to the Sidamo Coffee & Tea at 417 H Street, NE, Washington DC to get a look at the art.

Telephone number is 202 - 548 - 0081.

And here is some information pertaining to Ethiopian Sidamo Coffee.

No comments: