Wednesday, September 29, 2010

And yet, another study on racial discrimination and disparities in the gay community

When last week that I read a Metro Weekly Update pertaining to Rob Smith’s 20 September 2010 article “Black and Brown and Discharged All Over” I thought to myself, here is yet another study that sheds light on what I have spoken of and written on for almost two decades.

And while waiting for my quarterly dental cleaning last Monday I came across another excellent Metro Weekly article by Daniel W. K. Lee entitled "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" which speaks on sexual racism in a similar manner as have I.

Throughout my entire life, this almost 57 year old gay black man, has spoken not only the truth but, more importantly, the unspoken truths.

But, the truth has not ever been what "they" wanted to hear. Nor could 'they' handle!

While generally speaking, it is perceived that racial tolerance and diversity are celebrated within the LGBT communities, as a 57 year old gay black man who, over the years, practiced integration and in sharp constrast to my white counterpart I now find myself commemorating rather than celebrating.

Shot during my October 2010 National Equality March / WDC documentation, click the image to view my Leonard Matlovich Memorial Service and DADT Protest photo album.

No comments: