Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bill Flag Dancing at Dupont Circle on Sunday, 8 August 2010

According to Wikipedia ... the art of flag dancing, but more commonly referred to as flagging, is the undulation, spinning and waving of flags in a rhythmic fashion to music.

While my memories of flaggers date back to the 80's when friends and I partied at The Saint which at the time I, iinaccurately, referred to as fan dancing it was not until the 1996 Cherry Weekend event in Washington DC that my flag dancing docu-project was launched.

While sitting in Dupont Circle on Sunday evening, 8 August 2010, and reviewing images and videos that I had shot earlier that afternoon of the Malcolm X. Park Drum & Dance Circle in Meridian Hill a flagger named Bill caught my attention as he performed at the fountain.

Click the image to view my relaunched Flag Dancing series which for the purpose of this project which focuses on flag dancing within the gay community.

A great resource for flag dancing can be found at FlaggerCentral which is where you will find several groups listed.

Thanks Bill for reigniting my interest in flag dancing.

No comments: