Monday, December 28, 2009

Lambda Rising's Final Holiday Window Display

Even though my shopping experience at Lambda Rising has not always been pleasant (that shopping while black thang) since first hearing news of its pending closure from the 10 December 2009 Metro Weekly feature article "Book Ends" I wanted to make sure that I captured the store's last holiday window display (designed by Jim Bennett) since its window displays have always been amongst my favorite.

In fact, according to a posting at Lambda Rising's website ... Bennett, who took a leave of absence from the store's day-to-day operations in 1999 but has continued as an officer, will be coming back to the store to install this year's holiday display window. “It's something I've always enjoyed and I know so many customers get a kick out of our campy, kicky holiday displays, so we're going to pull out the stops for this year's,” Bennett said. He added, “I spent 20 years working in Lambda Rising and it was a marvelous experience. The store has touched the lives of so many people - it was never just a bookstore, but always so much more. Every day I went to work there, I knew I was doing something that made a difference.”

Click the image to view my Lambda Rising photo album which features Sunday, 27 December 2009 images of the store's final window display.

For more information regarding its closure visit Lambda Rising's website at With “Mission Accomplished,” Lambda Rising to Close at Year's End.

No comments: